Thursday, September 4, 2008

Politics & God's Side









Well..the DNC and the RNC are over and I must say....I'm relieved. While I love doses of good political discussion about issues and the players, I find that large doses tend to suck my soul dry. There are days when I scratch the news networks off my to-do lists and focus completely on things that are good for my soul. However, I am still living "in the world" and I do not want to be apathetic with regard to national and global issues. Scripture is clear that we are to be salt and light and we cannot do that if we aren't engaged in our culture on some level. So, I twitter, blog, watch the foxnews.com and cnn.com videos and live video and read news stories from quite a few sources on the web. I even log on to the radio stream on the website of our local FM talk station, KFTK, 97.1, Younger, Smarter, Better. (Yeah..my kids can say that one. They also have the 97.7, 94.1 JOY FM jingle memorized. Cute.)

Having said all that, the events of last Friday changed the political landscape for me. It was exciting, historic, and I am once again energized about the November election. I respected John McCain for his service to our country, and for standing firm in his beliefs, even if he took heat from his own party. I wasn't overly thrilled about some of his stands on issues such as global warming or the borders. However, like so many others, I am loving what I know about Sarah Palin thus far. What a trip these past days must have been for her. She is not only economically conservative, a reformer, and a WOMAN!, but Sarah is very pro-life, and that is a chief concern for me. I don't care what the political analysts or pundits say: LIFE has always been core issue, and is, in my opinion, the most important issue our country will ever deal with. We must work to stop the holocaust of the innocent unborn.

I do not rush to wear a Republican or Democratic label. I am a social and economic conservative, and I vote for those who share my views on the issues. However, when the lines are drawn, I want to be sure I am firmly planted on God's side. This is an awesome devotion about being sure you are on God's side rather than having a false confidence that because you are a christian God is on your side.