Sunday, August 31, 2008

McCain/Palin Rally! (Not McPain, Paul!)


Jonah and I joined some other friends from church today and attended a McCain/Palin rally at TR Hughes Park in O'Fallon. We had a good time sweating, waiting, sweating, waiting, and then saw the actual candidates heads for maybe 1 or 2 seconds?? (because of the huge crowd there..around 20,000) But we did it mostly happily to show our support and let everyone know there are still people out there who care about conservative issues. To be honest, I had not been overly excited about the upcoming elections because McCain wasn't my first choice. I liked several of the nominees, but wasn't completely sold on any of them...until McCain went and made my week and picked a socially, and fiscally conservative FEMALE! Now I would never vote for or against someone because of their gender, but I just think this was a brilliant move on his part for all the reasons everyone has been talking about.


We felt like big, gross, sweaty goo balls after about 15 minutes there but managed to get a cute pic of the kids. David Jackson took some pictures of us that I hope never see the light of day..I'm sure I looked ridiculous. I was jumping around getting into some country song and then I heard the artist say somethink like "I want to look for ticks on you!" Good grief...as if we needed to appear any more redneck-ish.. DJ better not have videotaped me dancing to that.. HEHE! Anyway, they weren't a bad band..just would have been nice to have something in addition to country music as Dana from Mamalogues twittered.
We not only got to see/hear McCain, Palin, but Jim Talent, Governor Matt Blunt, Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee too! It was awesome to hear all those people at one setting. It was also kind of cool watching the Secret Service scoping out the woods too..and I'm nearly certain that we followed and were followed by Governor Blunt on the way home..there was a caravan of brown state trooper SUV's that drove like they were carrying someone important. We waved like dorks just in case.
I prepped Jonah on who we would see and what he should say if we happened to be close enough to see them today. Of course, that didn't happen, but he asked, repeatedly, for about two hours, "where's John McCain? where's John McCain?" as if they were personal friends. When John McCain finally did appear, Jonah asked "Who's John McCain?" like he had never heard of him..so much for all the prep work. Gonna sleep good tonight.

1 comment:

PJ said...

Yeah. I hear you. I do like the idea of Palin. Jonah is my kind of guy!! :)