Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Living with MawMaw



(This is not my child...no, we have not bleached their hair out.)
Jonah (and Jude) were a bit naughty today (well..everyday.) My kids, like all other children in the world, seem to really get a kick out of misbehaving and squealing like piglets as soon as I get on an important phone call. (You know..the kind with bankers, accounting firms, attorneys, and such...where you have to read out figures between howls and cries for candy and every other forbidden thing because you are on the phone and they know you won't punish them while someone else is listening...so you say in the most contrived, calm tone you can muster, "Just a minute dear and mommy will help you." Then you get off the phone and get the contorted, pinched, monster face and they run from the room, shrieking all the way, for cover.) Yeah.. that kind of phone call. Anyway, I disciplined him and explained to him that frightening his whiny, little two year old brother with bear sounds while I am on the phone is neither polite or appreciated.


In an effort to cheer him up after said discipline..and from mother guilt for being on the phone to begin with, I let him know that his Mawmaw was coming to pick him up so that he and Jude could spend some time with she and Pawpaw this evening. He got a little red in the face, and I saw some independence rising up in him as he began to speak faster..ultimately letting me know that he wasn't coming back home. I guess that is the first time I have heard that, as a mother,..sure it won't be the last..it smarted my heart just a bit. But then I reminded him that he likes to snuggle with me every morning and a few other things that I thought would help him realize how much he enjoys living here. He didn't relent. Jude kept squealing and Jonah started crying complaining that Jude's cries hurt his ears. They hurt mine too..my head more. Two squawling kids and one tired, overworked mom. That's when a nanny would sure be nice.


Alas, time, and food heal make things right with the world, at least most of the time...I fed him his favorite chicken and cheese quesadillas, pineapple and even gave him some watered down sweet tea and he was all chirpy again. I asked again if he thought he might want to stay at Mawmaw's house and he admitted he wanted to live with me. (relief) I even got a kiss as he left with her.


I enjoy how easy things are, emotionally, when children are this age. Parents of teenagers are always telling me they wish they had these days back. I have made a commitment to myself to take it one day at a time and live in the moment...it's difficult..between my responsibilities, the whining, fighting, crying..and yes, even noisy phone calls. However, a deep breath and a prayer are highly under-rated. God does give us enough grace for each moment..we just have to decide to accept His help and go on.

No comments: