Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"Bad Bone, Doo Doo Doo Doo!"



My dad is in the habit of teaching Jonah important songs like Working at the Car Wash Blues and the likes. Recently, he was inspired to teach him Bad to The Bone and of course Jude picks it up..with his special little version. He is now singing "Bad Bone, Bad Bone, doo doo doo doo!" It's so cute..I wish I could capture it on video. In truth, my video camera is not handy..I need to go find it..it's somewhere in the garage or in the Armada. Things are everywhere since the move.

Jonah update: He NEVER stops talking or singing. It's cute. It's annoying. It's sweet. I'm thrilled he loves to search out answers and express his joy through singing. I just wish he had a volume dial so that I could listen at a lower level sometimes. Jude is picking up the singing bug and is able to sing quite a few of the songs we sing at church.

The boys continue to speak to EVERYONE in public...especially in retail stores. At church, most folks want to speak to them and regularly do, so the boys think that our church = the public. I have tried to reign them in at times because some people just don't want to be bothered by anyone. 75% of the passersby are friendly right back and enjoy the banter with my little people, but there are others who are just rude..they completely ignore the fact that the little people are speaking to them. Jonah always seems confused when this happens. I started to tell him that they didn't hear him one time..then I thought.."well that really isn't true." They were most likely just ignoring them because the boys are young, and they don't want to be bothered to stop and talk to a kid. Age-ism? I think so. If an adult were addressing them, they would most likely respond in some way. It kind of gets my goat that they are so rude and don't care about hurting Jonah's or Jude's feelings..but some people are just not very compassionate..that's not news.

Anyway, I haven't been quite sure how to address the issue with my kids..Jonah especially. I don't want to lie and tell him that they didn't hear him. I could say that they must have been in a hurry and didn't have time to talk, but the truth is, they could have said a quick "Hi!" and "I need to run!", but they didn't. Simply, they are exhibiting rude behavior. I think he is old enough to understand that now. I point out rude behavior on his part, so I think it's okay to identify it in others..especially if it confronts us. People aren't perfect, and Jonah, at four, is learning that.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I think it's perfectly okay to let kids know that adults behave rudely sometimes. They'll find out eventually!! Maybe frame it, "Sometimes people are busy, sad or angry about something in their family or at their house. They haven't learned to be polite when they feel grumpy." Then tell them to just say, "Have a nice day" or "God Bless You" or pick up something from the boys response to that information that they can say. Even, "I'm sorry you're sad. I'll pray for you." And then run on their little way.

:)

PJ said...

Welcome to Blogger!!! I'll put you on my google reader and get the regular updates!!! Love the pics of the boys. You'll have to locate that video to post their singing!!!