Friday, November 7, 2008

More on the election and a call to prayer!

RACE
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ironically, many people are saying that Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream came true on November 4, 2008. Somehow, I don't think Barack Obama was elected by people based on the content of his character, but rather because of the color of his skin. I certainly understand this is a historic day. It is a day that needed to come. It's a day of hope for many people. I don't wish to diminish it's power. But it should not have come at the expense of the good of our nation. I do not believe we should vote for someone based on the color of their skin. I believe that we should vote for someone on the content of their character and that their skin color should not have been a factor. If a man of stellar character such as Alan Keyes (who values all human life) had been the winner, I would have been shouting in the streets about how incredible a victory it was that a man of such incredible integrity and intelligence was elected..and yes, that he was the first African American to be elected. Instead, we elected someone who was better at influencing the masses.
This whole election has been very baffling to me. I fear that our nation voted naively for "change." We're going to get change, but probably not the kind that we have been hoping for. I am too young to remember the Carter Presidency, but this wise woman is not. She has a unique perspective on what this coming Presidential term may be like.
PRAY
Whatever my personal thoughts, Barack Obama needs our prayer more than ever before. This post has some great prayers that you can adopt and pray for our President Elect. As the church, we have an incredible responsibility. I believe that God will use this time to wake the church up and get us doing what we are supposed to be doing...praying and working. Another pastor said that this result may create a spiritual vacuum in our nation, and we need to be available to be the workers to gather the harvest. We can look forward with hope, not because Barack Obama will bring it, but because God can do incredible things through His people in any season. We can be a part of true "change" - the change that comes about when God's people pray. Join with me!

1 comment:

PJ said...

You raise good points, Jen. And yes, God's Spirit sweeping over our nation is THE ONLY answer for lasting change!! The kind that counts. The kind of change that begins in the hearts of mankind and THEN extends to the things we do.